Your Fussy Eating Toddler or Child will love this Apricot and Oatmeal Slice!
Apricot and Oatmeal Slice
- 280g apricots (organic/sulphur dioxide free)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 125g plain spelt flour (for gluten free, replace with coconut flour)
- 100g rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 75g coconut sugar
- 80g unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g walnuts or pecans finely chopped
– Roughly chop the apricots and place into a saucepan with a cup of
water. Bring to the boil then turn off the heat. Add 1 teaspoon of
lemon juice then taste and add another if required. The apricots
should taste a little tart. Set aside to cool.
– Combine the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder and sugar in a food
processor. Mix at a slow speed until well combined but not to break
down the oats. Add the butter and vanilla and mix slowly again until
the mix becomes crumbly.
– Line a 20cm square biscuit tin with baking paper. .
– Spread just over ½ of the crumb into the tin, combine by pressing
down with your hands to bring together.
– Mash the cooked apricots to form a thick, sticky mix. Spread the
apricot mix over the layer of crumble, making sure to spread to each
corner evenly. Stir the nuts into the remaining ½ crumb mix and
spread evenly over the apricot, pressing down a little so that it
– Bake for 25-30 minutes at 180°C. Allow to cool completely before
dividing up into bars. These have a very long life in the fridge, up
to 3 weeks in an airtight container.